Skip to main content
Grampian Campervan Hire

Frequent Questions

Untitled design 2022 07 16 T152739 627 How do we get to you?

Please take a look at our contact page for details on how to get to us.

DSC06471 What is included in the campervan?

On our campervans page each van has detailed information explaining what's included and any additional extras available to you.

Pet Friendly Vans Can I bring my dog?

Yes! A selection of our campervans are pet friendly for a small additional fee, so there's no need to leave your furry friend at home for this trip.

What is the minimum hire period for your campervans?

The minimum hire period for our campervans is 3 days.

How old do I need to be to hire a campervan?

You will need to be between the ages of 23 and 75 to hire our campervans. And have held a drivers licence for a minimum of 2 years.

What documents do I need to make a booking?

A copy of your driver’s licence, both sides and with your current address. Two proofs of address e.g., utility bills, dated within the last 3 months. We also need one photo ID (new style driver’s licence will cover this) or a passport if you still hold the ‘old style’ paper driver’s licence. And last but not least a penalty check this can be found on the GOV website, view or share your licence.

How much is the Booking Fee?

A £35 booking fee covers our administration time to make the necessary checks that enables us to confirm your booking. This is a non-refundable payment.

How much is the Booking Deposit?

A non-refundable booking deposit is required at time of booking. The cost is £200 per week of hire (ie 1 week £200, 2 weeks £400 etc). The remaining balance of your hire is due six weeks prior to departure date, unless the booking is made within six weeks of your departure date, in which case the full hire cost is payable at the time of booking.

What is the Security Deposit?

We take a refundable security deposit, which covers the excess on our insurance policy as well as any issues upon return of the van. This is payable before or on departure date and is a requirement of our insurer. The security deposit is returned to you by BACS within 14 working days of the return date of your campervan, providing there are no deductions applicable for any damage or repairs required to the van after it has been assessed. See our Terms and Conditions for full details and current amounts payable.

Is insurance included in the hire price?

Fully comprehensive insurance is provided to the driver(s) named on the agreement holding a UK, ROI or EU driving licence. Insurance for named driver(s) holding a non-UK driving licence, non-ROI or non-EU driving licence will be charged at an additional £2.50 per day. The hire rate includes a standard insurance excess of £600 which the hirer is liable to pay in the event of a claim.

How many people are insured to drive the van?

The price covers one named driver. Additional drivers may be added at an additional charge of £10 per driver per week (maximum of 2 additional drivers). See our Terms and Conditions for more details.

How do I book?

Visit our booking page to see availability and prices for our full fleet of campervans.

What do I need to provide to make a booking?

We need a copy of your driving licence (both sides and with your current address); two proofs of address (eg utility bills, dated within the last 3 months); one proof of photo ID (driving licence card will cover this, or if you still hold a paper copy driving licence, a passport will cover this); passport if booking from abroad; penalty check code (UK only)

What are Pick Up & Drop Off arrangements?

Collection is from 10.00hrs on departure day. Drop off is by 15.00hrs on the return day. Other times can be arranged. We can also offer a campervan drop off / pick up service for a fee, which must be arranged in advance.

How long does handover and return take?

Please allow 1 hour for campervan handover at the depot. This allows us time to complete the documentation and demonstrate your vehicle to you, and answer any queries you have about its use. Please allow the same on your return.

Do you have a car park?

Yes, we can offer safe parking at our site for your own vehicle for the duration of your trip. However, please remember it is still at your risk.

Can you meet us at the airport or train station with the campervan?

We can arrange pick ups from the railway stations at Huntly or Insch, and from Aberdeen and Inverness airports. Please arrange pickups in advance of your arrival.

Does the campervan have a toilet?

Our WV T6 vans do not have toilets, all other vans do have built in toilets. Full details for each van is available on our campervans page.

Is bedding included in the hire?

No, most people like to bring their own bedding. The mattresses come with 2 covers, 1 waterproof and 1 sheet. We have sleeping bag sets available to hire. 1 set includes a sleeping bag, liner and small pillow.

What extras are available?

We offer a full range of extras to hire including: Towel set including 2 facecloths, 2 towels and 1 bath towel for £5.00 Bike rack £50 per week Generator £80 per week. If there is something else you need please ask and we will do our best to provide it.

How does the fridge / freezer work?

The fridge and small freezer compartment run off the leisure battery, as do the lights and water pump. The fridge will last for approximately 2 days when stationary. When travelling, the engine charges up the leisure battery – a handy gauge will indicate power remaining. The more times the fridge door is opened, the more energy it uses to maintain a cold temperature!

Is the campervan warm enough at night?

The vans are well insulated and include a fantastic heating system (connected directly to the battery) which works very well. Remind yourself to check the diesel level as it feeds from the main tank. Feel free to use it when required!

What should I do with waste water?

Waste water is also known as grey water and is the water that goes down the van's sink/shower and collects in an onboard waste water tank in the vehicle. Grey water should be emptied at a campsite motorhome/caravan disposal area to go into the sewage system for proper treatment.

How do I manage chemical toilet waste?

Chemical toilet waste is also known as black waste and the emptying points at campsites or service points are called a Chemical Disposal Point (CDP), Elsan disposal point or Black Waste disposal point. Never should chemical toilet waste be emptied at Grey Waste facilities. Never pour toilet waste into streams, rivers, lochs or undergrowth, even if it's only urine.

What sort of mileage will I get?

This answer depends on many factors, including driving style, fuel costs and the type of roads being driven. Typically you should get between 35 - 40 MPG, which is approximately 600 miles per tank.

Are personal belongings covered by the insurance?

No, insurance does not cover or include the hirers' personal belongings.

What if I damage the campervan or am involved in a road accident?

Don't panic, accidents happen! Information is provided in each campervan to assist you in this situation. Contact us to let us know and we will advise further if you need assistance.

What happens if the campervan breaks down?

Our vans are covered with full roadside recovery. In the event of a major breakdown the van will be towed to a suitable garage. In the unlikely event of the van being unrepairable, we will do our best to get you a replacement campervan or refund the hirer for each night that the camper is unavailable. Fees may apply for call outs for human error e.g. filling with wrong fuel, being locked out, lights left on.

What if I need to cancel my booking?

In the event of a cancellation by the hirer the following charges shall be incurred: More than 6 weeks before departure date, the booking deposit of £200 per week; 4-6 weeks before departure date, 50% of the remainder and the booking deposit; 4 weeks to ‘no show’ on departure date, 100% of total hire charge. We will do our very best to arrange something to get a fair result for both parties.

What is it like driving in Scotland?

In Scotland, we drive on the left. In rural areas, many roads are single track with passing places – take it easy and slow down! Allow overtaking - when someone comes up behind you, pull over into the next available space on your left to allow them to overtake. Allow extra time for your journey and take it slowly. Keep an eye out for sheep, cows and deer on rural roads!

Can I travel outside the UK in a GCH van?

No, our vans are permitted for hire use in the UK only.

Still have a question?

A quick read of our Terms and Conditions might be able to help, but if not and you would rather speak to us just get in touch, we'll be happy to answer any queries you have!

Happy campers!

Don't take our word for it! Have a look at what our previous customers have to say about about Grampian Campervan Hire.

Mirjam Green

Google Reviews

Would definitely recommend using Grampian Campervan Hire when you're looking to rent a van. Great location close to Cairngorms, Moray Coast and on your way to the West. Safe parking of your own car at their premises.

5 out of 5 rating

Paul Fox


Great and well priced service from mieke & jan, can’t fault the service at all they we’re very welcoming and overly accommodating to our needs for first time campervan goers. We will definitely be back again.

5 out of 5 rating

Elaine Murray

Google Reviews

The service was brilliant, friendly and informative. The campervan itself was very clean and well laid out - we had an awesome adventure in it - if you get a chance you should definitely try it - very good value for money as well.

5 out of 5 rating

Book your adventure

Ready to hit the road and discover the beauty of Scotland or beyond? Take a look at our range of campervans and choose the best one to suit your travel needs and get those travel dates in the diary!

Book Now View Our Vans